Friday, February 15, 2013

Write, Right?

I met my friend, Lisa, for lunch today and, as is the tradition between the two of us, we suspended the need to breathe for about 2 hours as we did friendship's new-age form of "speed dating" - the hurried sightseeing tour of what's been happening on every terrain - family, health, work, friends, aging, traveling, and all the rotations in between.  I am still trying to come up for air.

With Lisa, though, inevitably, we discuss writing.  Lisa is tenacious, committed, fervent and, per her own designation, "Enthusiastic".  (Please see her blog, "Enthusiastically, Lisa" on WordPress!)  She is dead serious about making sure she doesn't bury her gift in the weeds of being a very attentive wife/mother/friend/teacher... She has a schedule and goals and all the trimmings of someone who means business when she sets out to put her thoughts into words to send out into the world.

And she says to me, "Write."  I don't understand why I don't more.  If you asked me to write something for YOU, I would overflow with words.  Write a speech:  Minutes later, done.  So why don't I carve out the time to do this, I wonder....?

I am inspired today.  I saw the fire behind her eyes when she spoke of her ideas and things she wants to say, and who she hopes will hear her.  She asks me about my family, my kids, my job, my health and I pour out the syllables and she leans in close and says to me, "write that all down, ok?  You will want to remember this one day."   I thinks she is right.


And my heart starts up a little dance just to think about it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment