Monday, August 3, 2009

Katella Deli

You know how it is when you are driving down the road on a perfect summer day and an old song comes on the radio? Suddenly you are "there" -- wherever "there" was when that was playing before -- a road trip, a summer beach day with friends, a romantic walk.

Yesterday, some friends took us out to the Katella Deli. If this was a song, I would have sang it at the top of my lungs. My friend, Marsha, took me first through the bakery side of the deli and showed me all the most wonderful Jewish bakery delights. I have been living in LeanWorld and I tell you, there is nothing like that here. They issue moving violations to anyone with over 2% body fat here in "The O.C." I think the skinny-So-Cal-Stepford-sisters would have an aneurysm to be in the same room with more this collection of butter, sour cream and flaky pastry. Not me, this place deserves its own zip code, like Disneyland.

Part of the thrill of the event was in passing table after table of people dining and looking as thought they were really ENJOYING their meal, actually tasting and, it seemed to me, loving it, too. I haven't seen that look in a dining room in a very long time. What's happened to the dining experience? Everything has been replaced with substitutes -- no sugar, no fat, no caffeine, nothing made by hand that didn't get punched out of a computer assembly line ... everything has been stripped out, especially the fun. Soon, we will have stunt doubles consuming our food for us.

There is a thing about Kosher pickles on the table and a really good Reuben sandwich that makes me taste "home". I wish I hadn't chastised my parents so much for loving a good deli sandwich once in a while. Who knew how few opportunities they were going to have to enjoy it in their suddenly abbreviated life? I really should have lightened up.

Sunday afternoon will be a memory of delightful conversation with old friends in a room rich with people who seemed to be animated and filled up with what's good. I had to take it all in as we meandered through our multi-windowed conversations, speaking over each other to fill in a detail, ask a question or open yet another topic, another bite. I couldn't believe how full I got on so many levels.

I packaged up the other half of the sandwich to eat later at home. Later in the evening, I unwrapped the package, pickle and all, put it on a real plate, and enjoyed every single bite. I think God meant for us to have that joy, and I am glad I did today. I'll lighten up tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment