Sunday, February 14, 2010

Varnishkes and Kasha


I've never tried to make a brisket. I keep imagining a context in which I might attempt it -- but the mere thought collides with defeat when I face the reality that no matter how many ways I would try to prepare it -- never, ever, would it be like the pan that used to come out of my mother's oven. I can even see her hands, her thin and delicate, veiny skin, grasping the handles of some baking pan which we had told her to discard decades earlier. Perhaps the secret to her delectible presentation was in that beat up and scratched pan -- no one else could possibly own one like that. No one could duplicate this thing she created with those hands of hers. There is magic in that.


I couldn't make the brisket, but tonight I made the varnishkes and kasha, the side dish that inevitably accompanied the meal. I sauteed the onion and garlic, toasted the egg-coated kasha grains till they were nutty brown, stirred and mixed and tossed and seasoned. The aroma that filled my kitchen wrapped around me and cast a spell. Even the sound of the sizzle in the pan was like music to me.


It's not like you can order up this dish anywhere. If you could, I think it would be missing the fact that the draw of it is the preparation with your own hands, with the sounds of home and family, puppies playing and telephones ringing -- all that stirred together and blended into the flavors I dished onto the plate. It conjured up for me an average evening from my long-ago. Nothing special, not for company coming to dinner, not a celebration -- just an after school or long day at work welcome home.


I sat down with my steaming plate, savoring each bite this simple Sunday night. I wished I had a side of brisket, but the memory of it is just as full of flavor as I close my eyes tonight...

1 comment:

  1. "Average evenings of long ago."

    Loved your story on Varnishkes and Kasha. It's funny how we all have those stainless steel pots and pans now and how our parents raised us on pots and pans that they bought one pot at a time. Nothing matched in my mom's pots and pans and certain ones were used for certain things just like your mom's brisket pan.
    I love being reminded of the sweet home life I had as a child through your eyes and ears and talent as a writer.
    I had second thoughts of Varnishkes as I googled it and printed the recipe considering the word varnish in plain English was part of that word.
    The joke was on me. It sounds warm and inviting and having been brought up in a half English and half German climate I look forward to trying to make it in your honor. Not the brisket though. My brisket days are far behind me. I'm very sure I never tasted a brisket as good as one your mom would have prepared either. Just the side dishes will do well for me too.
    Love you so much Julie. You are just what the doctor ordered for my heart and soul. bj

    ReplyDelete