Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Light the Candles

The other day, my friend Carly sent me an email with pictures she was eager to share showing her regular, everyday mantle illuminated with candles. I immediately wrote her back and asked, "What was the occasion?" and she replied that a friend was over and, for no particular reason, thought it would be a good idea.

Indeed, it was ... and her little relay of this fraction of time in her home took me back to a conversation I had with my mother in the early days of her illness.
I remember the day in which I helped her into a bubble bath which I had prepared for her in the beautiful, deep tub in her master bedroom. I added lavender and rosemary oil drops and then proceeded to hunt for candles throughout the house. It seemed that we needed to dim the lights so that my ailing mother could find a moment's peace from the pain, stress and pressure of the shards of reality she faced with her cancer diagnosis looming overhead.

My parent's post-children home was somehow transformed into a showpiece of "look-don't-touch" finery. The carpets, sofas and piano were white, with only hints of color in the accent pillows and throw blankets and area rugs. But, yes, in the home there were candles ... everywhere. In every room, they were placed artistically on display shelves and in between books which were never read, and adjacent to incomplete photo albums and random curios. Looking back, I see that the real "living" in that grand home really only happened in a few square feet, around the kitchen eating nook or the adjacent TV room. The rest of the house stayed empty and still, awaiting someone somewhere to admire the silent beauty of it all. The good china was never used, the guest towels stayed untouched, and the candles were never lit.

That day, I gathered up every candle I could carry and brought them to the ledge of my mother's bath. I lit them, maybe 30 in all -- in different colors, heights and scents. My mother began to protest the use of the "good" candles, and then caught herself in the moment and stopped short of uttering her complaint. Her pale and sickly demeanor was magically illuminated into a golden hue of health, the enchanting flickering light seemed to dance some stresses from her eyes. The air was rich with a fragrance combination I can never forget-- lavender, rosemary, candle wax and burning wicks. I swear I can even gather in deep breaths of good life in the mix from that moment.

Mom said, "Why did I wait to have cancer to light my beautiful candles?" There were no spoken words between us after she asked the question which hung in the air before boring a place deep into my soul's memory. She knew what I now know, too, that we don't need a reason to drink in a moment of calm and beauty. Carly knows it, too ... and I hope her mantle is illuminated for many days to come.

2 comments:

  1. I too grew up in a home with unlit candles and perfectly staged rooms to admire. I since have an obsession of lighting candles for the celebration of a simple meal with my husband and three small children. I use cloth napkins, place settings for every meal even for my 1 1/2 year old. If we don't value ourselves as worthy who will? We live in such a dispensable society I strive to remind myself and children that we are valued, loved, and approved for just being who we are. Our value is not based on someone else's unattainable approval gauge but on our own values. My oldest son has taught me the value of "unconditional love and approval". It was dizzying at first to find the possibility of approval without the act of earning the approval. Of course, this is how I got through life as a child by constantly earning my approval. Now to be taught such a life altering lesson of value, approval, and love I celebrate each day with words and thoughts of approving of myself and my children for just waking up to a beautiful day together. I will be lighting my candles tonight, even though my husband is working late, I am sure the kids will feel the warmth and brightness of such a small jesture to the celebration of life. Thanks for the reminder to be "illuminators". Love, Angie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julie....
    I just read your latest writings all in a row and started to respond with this last one that I hadn't read yet.
    Yes, it true that we save the best for last. The only problem with that is that the last can come when we least expect. I do the same with soaps, dishes, candles, etc. Now that Charlie's gone, who am I to burn those candles with and for? Don't even feel like lighting them for me. Don't want to wait though until one of my children has to bring them all into the bathroom to sit with me in the tub. I think I've missed the boat altogether. Your forever friend, bj

    ReplyDelete